Black historical past is American historical past, however Black Historical past Month offers the required alternative to dig deeper. Each February, we are able to assist college students as they study extra, uncover cultural impacts, and comply with actions by means of to the current day.
Since 1928, the Affiliation for the Research of African American Life and Historical past has offered a theme for Black Historical past Month. In 2021, the theme might be The Black Household: Illustration, Id, and Variety. As you evaluate a few of our favourite Black Historical past Month actions for the classroom, hold that essential theme in thoughts.
Only a heads up! WeAreTeachers might acquire a share of gross sales from the hyperlinks on this web page. We solely advocate gadgets our crew loves!
1. Carry artwork and historical past collectively by recreating civil rights freedom motion posters.
The Civil Rights Motion Veterans web site presents highly effective examples of freedom motion posters, as does the Civil Rights Digital Library. Overview them together with your college students, after which have them get into teams and create their very own to share.
2. Discover Black historical past by means of main sources from the Nationwide Archives.
Select from 1000’s of assets, together with this Seventies picture collection of Chicago.
3. Let artists encourage your Black Historical past Month actions.
4. Study in regards to the Black Lives Matter motion.
5. Create a e-newsletter or journal.
Have your college students generate their very own e-newsletter or literacy journal to distribute to oldsters. Embody poems and brief tales by black authors, in addition to student-generated writings and pictures that heart on Black Historical past Month.
6. Recreate a Black household’s journey utilizing the Inexperienced Guide.
The Historical past Channel presents an exquisite introduction to this information that was written to assist Black People journey safely through the mid twentieth century.
7. Flip your classroom right into a residing museum.
Have your college students select a notable Black pioneer they’d prefer to know extra about, corresponding to voting rights and ladies’s rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer, dancer Alvin Ailey, or Betty Reid Soskin, the oldest full-time nationwide parks ranger. Then, host a residing museum proper in your classroom. College students can gown up and share what they realized by means of their analysis.
8. Study in regards to the lifetime of the forty fourth president of the USA, Barack Obama.
The White Home web site presents a good introduction to President Barack Obama, as does this Nationwide Geographic reader. Obama has additionally authored a number of books that older college students might get pleasure from, together with Desires from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance, The Audacity of Hope, and A Promised Land.
9. Create your personal digital museum devoted to remembering slavery and its legacy.
13.org presents some highly effective scholar examples and a downloadable template you should utilize to attempt the exercise in your classroom.
10. Adorn your classroom door for Black Historical past Month.
These lecturers adorned their classroom doorways in superb methods to showcase Black Historical past Month.
11. Honor a number of the navy’s most brave veterans.
12. Learn books with Black characters in honor of the younger hero Marley Dias.
Dias is a younger activist who began the #1000blackgirlbooks marketing campaign as a sixth-grader. She has compiled a wonderful information to books with Black lady characters . Try our record of books with Black protagonists as properly.
13. Learn Black image e-book biographies.
These image e-book biographies assist have fun Black Historical past Month and educate your college students on how these folks helped form historical past.
14. Study in regards to the artwork of stepping.
Stepping is a type of dancing during which the physique itself is used to create distinctive rhythms and sounds. The web site Step Afrika! has movies and details about the historical past of stepping.
15. Nearly go to the illustrious Schomburg Middle for Analysis in Black Tradition in Harlem, New York.
The digital collections characteristic some superb on-line reveals, interviews, and podcasts.
16. Witness the realities of slavery and reconciliation first hand on the nation’s first slavery museum, the Whitney Plantation.
The museum’s unimaginable on-line lesson plans educate college students about what life was actually like in antebellum America.
17. Go to the unimaginable Smithsonian Nationwide Museum of African American Historical past & Tradition.
You’ll be able to browse the gathering on-line by matter, date, or place.
18. Host a poetry studying.
Have college students select a poem by a Black poet to study and recite for the category. Select a scholar to function the emcee, write up a program, and set the tone with dimmed lights and jazz music performed between performances. The Poetry Basis has wonderful assets that may assist get you began.
19. Reimagine your geography lesson.
Do you know that between 1915 and 1970, tens of millions of Blacks left the South and resettled in locations like Detroit, Los Angeles, and New York? Or that after the Civil Battle, many Blacks often known as Exodusters, made their technique to the Nice Plains? Pull up a map and educate your college students in regards to the whys, wheres, and hows Black households moved in regards to the nation and the way such demographic shifts formed the USA we all know as we speak. You can too take an interactive journey on the Underground Railroad.
20. Grasp posters within the classroom.
These free posters assist deliver Black Historical past Month to the classroom.
21. Maintain court docket.
Your future authorized eagles will get pleasure from studying about the important thing Supreme Court docket instances that helped Blacks safe rights, the occasions and efforts that sparked the instances, and the aftermath of these court docket selections. Remember to acknowledge Thurgood Marshall, the primary Black Supreme Court docket justice and the lead lawyer within the Brown case, alongside the way in which.
22. Pay attention up.
23. The play’s the factor.
Together with his American Century Cycle, playwright August Wilson explored Black life through the twentieth century. Use the assets centered on the ten performs that make up the cycle to unpack that wealthy historical past. Take into account selecting one to current to all the faculty.
24. Try these eight on-line reveals on Black historical past, racism, and protest.
Educating your self and your college students with these reveals is yet another technique to perceive Black historical past and the present second.
25. Attend this Black Historical past Month digital live performance: Preserving and Persevering.
The Chicago Kids’s Choir is coming collectively just about for a dynamic academic program and efficiency honoring black tradition. Tune in to the free livestream on Thursday, February 25, by means of Fb and YouTube.
26. Plan Black Historical past Month classes by grade with Scholastic.
Discover Scholastic’s Black Historical past Month classroom actions, which might be filtered by grade degree, beginning with kindergarten.
27. Dive into “Georgia Tales: Black Historical past Assortment” on PBS
As a state, Georgia performed an enormous position within the 2020 presidential election, and its Black historical past dates again to the earliest days of slavery within the colony.
28. Talk about implicit bias, systemic racism, and social injustice.
Begin a much-needed dialogue round implicit bias and systemic racism, with these assets that may empower college students to struggle for justice in our society.
29. Have fun the dominance of spirit over struggling with “Freedom in Congo Sq..”
The award-winning image e-book, Freedom in Congo Sq., is a nonfiction youngsters’s e-book that describes the tyranny of slavery to assist younger readers perceive how jubilant Sundays can be for slaves.
30. Acknowledge Black visionaries.
This nice poster that includes activists, artists, authors, and revolutionaries, will spotlight Black changemakers in your classroom. Use companion actions to deepen understanding by researching a number of of the visionaries and asking college students to put in writing a narrative or create their very own poster about what they’ve realized.
31. Keep in mind Dr. Martin Luther King’s ‘I Have a Dream’ speech.
Dr. Martin Luther King’s stirring speech is well-known to adults, however always remember how essential it’s to introduce his phrases to our youthful technology.
32. Overview the timeline of Black Historical past Month.
Why is Black Historical past Month in February? How way back was it based, and who began it? Discover the solutions to those questions and study extra with this timeline.
33. Discover the music of Black historical past.
This lesson traces the lengthy historical past of how Black artists have used music as a automobile for speaking beliefs, aspirations, observations, joys, despair, resistance, and extra throughout U.S. historical past.
Need extra articles like these? Subscribe to our e-newsletter!