Black historical past is American historical past, however Black Historical past Month supplies the required alternative to dig deeper. Each February, we are able to assist college students as they study extra, uncover cultural impacts, and observe actions by to the current day.
Since 1928, the Affiliation for the Examine of African American Life and Historical past has offered a theme for Black Historical past Month. In 2021, the theme will likely be The Black Household: Illustration, Id, and Range. As you overview a few of our favourite Black Historical past Month actions for the classroom, hold that crucial theme in thoughts.
Only a heads up! WeAreTeachers could acquire a share of gross sales from the hyperlinks on this web page. We solely advocate objects our workforce loves!
1. Convey artwork and historical past collectively by recreating civil rights freedom motion posters.
The Civil Rights Motion Veterans web site gives highly effective examples of freedom motion posters, as does the Civil Rights Digital Library. Evaluation them along with your college students, after which have them get into teams and create their very own to share.
2. Discover Black historical past by main sources from the Nationwide Archives.
Select from 1000’s of assets, together with this Nineteen Seventies photograph sequence of Chicago.
3. Let artists encourage your Black Historical past Month actions.
4. Be taught concerning the Black Lives Matter motion.
5. Create a e-newsletter or journal.
Have your college students generate their very own e-newsletter or literacy journal to distribute to oldsters. Embrace poems and brief tales by black authors, in addition to student-generated writings and pictures that middle on Black Historical past Month.
6. Recreate a Black household’s journey utilizing the Inexperienced Ebook.
The Historical past Channel gives an exquisite introduction to this information that was written to assist Black People journey safely through the mid twentieth century.
7. Flip your classroom right into a residing museum.
Have your college students select a notable Black pioneer they’d prefer to know extra about, equivalent to voting rights and ladies’s rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer, dancer Alvin Ailey, or Betty Reid Soskin, the oldest full-time nationwide parks ranger. Then, host a residing museum proper in your classroom. College students can costume up and share what they realized by their analysis.
8. Be taught concerning the lifetime of the forty fourth president of the USA, Barack Obama.
The White Home web site gives a good introduction to President Barack Obama, as does this Nationwide Geographic reader. Obama has additionally authored a number of books that older college students could get pleasure from, together with Goals from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance, The Audacity of Hope, and A Promised Land.
9. Create your personal digital museum devoted to remembering slavery and its legacy.
13.org gives some highly effective pupil examples and a downloadable template you should utilize to strive the exercise in your classroom.
10. Beautify your classroom door for Black Historical past Month.
These lecturers adorned their classroom doorways in wonderful methods to showcase Black Historical past Month.
11. Honor among the navy’s most brave veterans.
12. Learn books with Black characters in honor of the younger hero Marley Dias.
Dias is a younger activist who began the #1000blackgirlbooks marketing campaign as a sixth-grader. She has compiled a wonderful information to books with Black lady characters . Take a look at our listing of books with Black protagonists as nicely.
13. Learn Black image guide biographies.
These image guide biographies assist rejoice Black Historical past Month and educate your college students on how these individuals helped form historical past.
14. Be taught concerning the artwork of stepping.
Stepping is a type of dancing by which the physique itself is used to create distinctive rhythms and sounds. The web site Step Afrika! has movies and details about the historical past of stepping.
15. Just about go to the illustrious Schomburg Heart for Analysis in Black Tradition in Harlem, New York.
The digital collections characteristic some wonderful on-line reveals, interviews, and podcasts.
16. Witness the realities of slavery and reconciliation first hand on the nation’s first slavery museum, the Whitney Plantation.
The museum’s unimaginable on-line lesson plans educate college students about what life was actually like in antebellum America.
17. Go to the unimaginable Smithsonian Nationwide Museum of African American Historical past & Tradition.
You may browse the gathering on-line by subject, date, or place.
18. Host a poetry studying.
Have college students select a poem by a Black poet to study and recite for the category. Select a pupil to function the emcee, write up a program, and set the tone with dimmed lights and jazz music performed between performances. The Poetry Basis has wonderful assets that may assist get you began.
19. Reimagine your geography lesson.
Do you know that between 1915 and 1970, hundreds of thousands of Blacks left the South and resettled in locations like Detroit, Los Angeles, and New York? Or that after the Civil Warfare, many Blacks generally known as Exodusters, made their method to the Nice Plains? Pull up a map and educate your college students concerning the whys, wheres, and hows Black households moved concerning the nation and the way such demographic shifts formed the USA we all know in the present day. It’s also possible to take an interactive journey on the Underground Railroad.
20. Grasp posters within the classroom.
These free posters assist convey Black Historical past Month to the classroom.
21. Maintain courtroom.
Your future authorized eagles will get pleasure from studying about the important thing Supreme Court docket circumstances that helped Blacks safe rights, the occasions and efforts that sparked the circumstances, and the aftermath of these courtroom selections. Remember to acknowledge Thurgood Marshall, the primary Black Supreme Court docket justice and the lead lawyer within the Brown case, alongside the best way.
22. Pay attention up.
23. The play’s the factor.
Along with his American Century Cycle, playwright August Wilson explored Black life through the twentieth century. Use the assets centered on the ten performs that make up the cycle to unpack that wealthy historical past. Think about selecting one to current to your entire faculty.
24. Take a look at these eight on-line reveals on Black historical past, racism, and protest.
Educating your self and your college students with these exhibits is yet another method to perceive Black historical past and the present second.
25. Attend this Black Historical past Month digital live performance: Preserving and Persevering.
The Chicago Kids’s Choir is coming collectively nearly for a dynamic instructional program and efficiency honoring black tradition. Tune in to the free livestream on Thursday, February 25, by Fb and YouTube.
26. Plan Black Historical past Month classes by grade with Scholastic.
Discover Scholastic’s Black Historical past Month classroom actions, which could be filtered by grade degree, beginning with kindergarten.
27. Dive into “Georgia Tales: Black Historical past Assortment” on PBS
As a state, Georgia performed an enormous position within the 2020 presidential election, and its Black historical past dates again to the earliest days of slavery within the colony.
28. Focus on implicit bias, systemic racism, and social injustice.
Begin a much-needed dialogue round implicit bias and systemic racism, with these assets that may empower college students to struggle for justice in our society.
29. Rejoice the dominance of spirit over struggling with “Freedom in Congo Sq..”
The award-winning image guide, Freedom in Congo Sq., is a nonfiction youngsters’s guide that describes the tyranny of slavery to assist younger readers perceive how jubilant Sundays could be for slaves.
30. Acknowledge Black visionaries.
This nice poster that includes activists, artists, authors, and revolutionaries, will spotlight Black changemakers in your classroom. Use companion actions to deepen understanding by researching a number of of the visionaries and asking college students to jot down a narrative or create their very own poster about what they’ve realized.
31. Keep in mind Dr. Martin Luther King’s ‘I Have a Dream’ speech.
Dr. Martin Luther King’s stirring speech is well-known to adults, however always remember how essential it’s to introduce his phrases to our youthful era.
32. Evaluation the timeline of Black Historical past Month.
Why is Black Historical past Month in February? How way back was it based, and who began it? Discover the solutions to those questions and study extra with this timeline.
33. Discover the music of Black historical past.
This lesson traces the lengthy historical past of how Black artists have used music as a automobile for speaking beliefs, aspirations, observations, joys, despair, resistance, and extra throughout U.S. historical past.
Need extra articles like these? Subscribe to our e-newsletter!