Crispy outdoors, tender inside, and seasoned to perfection, these Air Fryer French Fries are the head of satisfaction. This recipe is THE technique to make excellent French fries from scratch within the air fryer!
Sure of us, I’m one of many cool children now: an air fryer proprietor! (After copious analysis, that is the one we settled on based mostly on value and capability.)
The very first recipe I got down to grasp: French fries.
What’s an Air Fryer
For many who are new to the equipment, an air fryer is basically a super-powered countertop convection oven.
The highest comprises a heating component and fan, which blows sizzling air down and across the meals on a rack beneath, cooking it shortly and making it crispy.
Not like an ordinary oven, air fryers can preheat in minutes and their compact dimension means the meals is prepared quicker.
One of many largest appeals of an air fryer is that it could crisp meals with little or no oil.
For instance, French fries are more healthy in an air fryer, as a result of in contrast to a deep fryer the place the potatoes are utterly submerged in a considerable amount of oil and in addition take in the oil, you solely want 2 teaspoons of oil to prepare dinner a beneficiant batch of fries within the air fryer.
And let me inform you, I air-fried so many potatoes in my quest for the right French fry, the more healthy issue is one thing I appreciated deeply. (For reference, air fryer French fry energy are round 107 for 4 ounces, in contrast with 335 energy for a similar-sized serving of fries at McDonald’s.)
This recipe is predicated on my go-to oven Baked French Fries. <—In case you don’t personal an air fryer and need fries which might be wholesome, that recipe is fabulous and yields the crispest attainable fries within the oven.
Translating the unique oven recipe to the air fryer, nonetheless, did current just a few challenges.
Along with figuring out the apparent—how lengthy you air fry French fries (reply: 7 to fifteen minutes, relying upon your mannequin and in the event you prepare dinner the potatoes in a single or double layer)—I needed to delve deeper.
After testing totally different air fryer French fry occasions, potato varieties, minimize sizes, and even numbers of fries within the basket, I can say with full confidence: these are the perfect air fryer French fries ever!
How one can Make Excellent Air Fryer French Fries
Air frying fries which might be supremely crispy, piping sizzling, and useless ringers for his or her deep-fried restaurant counterparts comes down to 5 elements:
- The kind of potato
- How you chop the potato
- Soaking the potato
- What number of layers of fries you prepare dinner within the air fryer directly
- Complete prepare dinner time
Which Potato is Greatest for Air Fryer French Fries
In terms of which potato to make use of for air fryer French fries, you have got two choices: Yukon gold potatoes and russet (a.okay.a. Idaho) potatoes. Every will yield a distinct end result.
- Russet potatoes resulted in fries that had been crispy outdoors, drier inside, and tasted most just like fries you’d eat in a restaurant.
- Yukon gold potatoes resulted in fries that had been equally crispy outdoors, however that had a firmer, creamier inside. Because of their naturally buttery style, the French fries made with Yukon golds additionally had a richer taste.
Whereas Yukon golds are my favorites for Oven Roasted Potatoes and Prompt Pot Mashed Potatoes, when it got here to creating a wholesome model of basic French fries within the air fryer, russet potatoes did the perfect job.
Be happy to strive each potatoes and choose your favourite!
How one can Reduce Potatoes for Fries
To create fries that crisped however didn’t burn, I discovered that reducing the potatoes into matchsticks that had been ¼-inch broad on all sides and three to 4 inches in size labored greatest.
- To ensure that your fries to prepare dinner evenly in the identical period of time, it’s necessary for them to be minimize the identical dimension.
- I recommend utilizing a mandoline (like this one) for simple reducing and to make sure uniform fries.
To Peel or To not Peel
When making air fryer French fries, you don’t want to peel the potatoes if you don’t want to. Personally, I just like the little bit of texture the pores and skin provides in addition to the nutritional vitamins within the pores and skin, so I depart the pores and skin on (the identical is true of my Candy Potato Fries). In case you favor the pores and skin off, you’re welcome to peel them as you want.
Soaking: A Crispy Important
Whereas it might appear to be a ache, soaking the potatoes in sizzling water for 10 minutes previous to cooking them within the air fryer is important.
- The water removes extra starch, permitting the fries to be their crispiest.
- I like to make use of sizzling water to prepare dinner the potatoes barely. This creates the “double fried” impact that makes many restaurant fries so addictive.
Layering Meals within the Air Fryer
Certainly one of my largest frustrations with the air fryer is that, regardless of the basket’s massive total quantity capability, to ensure that sure meals to crisp correctly, they have to be cooked in a single layer.
Because the floor space of the basket is small, meaning you find yourself making loads of batches, taking away from the air fryer’s faster prepare dinner time.
To find out whether or not or not you possibly can match extra fries into the air fryer directly, I examined just a few totally different strategies. Here’s what I discovered:
- Single Layer of Potatoes. Cooking only one layer of potatoes at a time resulted in the perfect, crispiest fries. The draw back was that I wanted to make no less than 4 batches, which prolonged the recipe’s complete time.
- Double Layer of Potatoes. My subsequent check was to see if I might stack the potatoes in two layers. I used to be pleasantly shocked to find that the double-layer fries, whereas not *as* crisp as those I cooked in a single layer, had been nonetheless delightfully crispy and really satisfying. This method additionally minimize my variety of batches in half.
- Three Layers or Extra. Once I stacked the potatoes in three layers or extra, they had been noticeably much less crisp and consultant of “fried” fries. I’d not suggest this technique.
Finally the variety of layers of fries you air fry directly relies upon upon how choosy you’re in regards to the fries being maximally crispy and the way a lot time you have got for a number of batches.
For us, the double layer was the right steadiness between crispiness and quicker recipe time.
Air Fryer French Fries Prepare dinner Occasions
The period of time it’s worthwhile to air fry French fries will fluctuate based mostly in your mannequin and its energy.
Since fashions fluctuate, I like to recommend you verify a couple of minutes early, after which once more in direction of the top of cooking time to verify your fries don’t burn.
How one can Prepare dinner Air Fryer French Fries from Scratch
This recipe *might* feed 3 to 4, however the two of us don’t have any drawback devouring the entire batch! Be happy to scale it up or down as you want.
- Potatoes. There’s nothing like a plate of sizzling and crispy potatoes, particularly once they’re this straightforward to make! Plus, potatoes are wealthy in minerals, nutritional vitamins, and antioxidants. Each russet potatoes and Yukon Gold potatoes will work right here.
- Olive Oil. Just a little oil helps the fries turn out to be completely crispy.
- Seasoning. The choices are infinite! I like the basic mixture of salt, pepper, and garlic powder by itself, however you’ll be able to add any of your favourite seasonings. I’ve listed some enjoyable concepts beneath.
- Slice the potatoes into sticks.
- Soak the potatoes in sizzling water.
- Drain and dry the potatoes. Rinse the bowl earlier than returning the potatoes to it.
- Toss the potatoes with oil and seasonings.
- For pretty crispy fries: Prepare dinner the potatoes in 2 layers within the air fryer basket at 375 levels F for five minutes. Toss the fries, then prepare dinner for 3-7 minutes extra.
- For max crispy fries: Prepare dinner the potatoes in a single layer within the air fryer basket at 375 levels F for five minutes. Toss the fries, then prepare dinner for 4-8 minutes extra.
- Switch the fries to a plate, and sprinkle them with salt. Repeat the cooking course of with any remaining potatoes. DIG IN!
I’ve advised my go-to seasoning mix right here, however you have got loads of choices!
- Cajun. Toss your fries with Cajun seasoning for a daring, flippantly spicy taste. (This could be tasty with my Skinny Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip.)
- Italian. Attempt your air fryer fries with some Italian seasoning for a scrumptious Italian spin. (Pair these with the basil yogurt dip from my Zucchini Fries recipe.)
- Seasoning Salt. Add seasoning salt for addictive salty and garlicky taste. Omit the kosher salt, as seasoning salt is already salty.
- Curry. For heat and richly-spiced fries, strive including curry powder.
- Parmesan Truffle. Get pleasure from a chic, restaurant-worthy spin by including truffle salt and topping your completed fries with freshly grated Parmesan.
- To Retailer. Place leftover fries in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Within the unlikely occasion of leftovers, you’ll be able to reheat the baked fries within the air fryer at 375 levels F or by preheating your oven to 400 levels F and inserting an empty baking sheet within the oven whereas the oven preheats. Unfold the leftover fries in a single layer on the recent pan (or within the air fryer basket), and recrisp. Nothing replaces the just-cooked style (the fries will dry out a bit), however they do perk up. I discovered air fryer fries reheated even higher than common fries, because the lesser quantity of oil inherently prevents them from getting soggy.
- To Freeze. Freeze fries in a single layer on a baking sheet till strong. Switch the frozen fries to an hermetic freezer-safe storage container or ziptop bag for as much as 3 months. Reheat from frozen as desired.
Really useful Instruments to Make this Recipe
Straightforward-To-Use Air Fryer
This extra-large air fryer achieves most crispiness, is straightforward to make use of, and holds greater than its smaller-sized counterparts.
Do you have got an air fryer but? What different air fryer recipes would you prefer to see from me? Please let me know within the feedback beneath (and let me know in the event you do that recipe too!). I like listening to from you.
- 1 massive or 2 small/medium russet potatoes* or Yukon gold potatoes, about 1 pound
- 2 teaspoons further virgin olive oil**
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt plus further for serving
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- OPTIONAL: ½ teaspoon dried dill weed Italian seasoning, or dried herbs of alternative (see weblog publish above for extra concepts)
- OPTIONAL: pinch cayenne pepper see weblog publish above for extra concepts
- Toppings elective recent parsley, chives, freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or dietary yeast)
Scrub the potatoes and peel if desired (I depart the peels on). Slice in half lengthwise, then minimize into ¼-inch-wide slices (a mandoline is the easiest way to get even fries; watch your fingers!). Flip the slices on their sides and minimize into ¼-inch sticks. If the sticks are lengthy, minimize them in half in order that your fries are about 3 to 4 inches.
Place the potatoes in a big bowl, then pour highly regarded faucet water excessive in order that it covers the potatoes by no less than 1 inch. Let sit 10 minutes. <—Should do! In case you skip the soaking step, the fries won’t be as crisp.
In case you’d prefer to preserve the fries heat between batches, preheat the oven to 200 levels F and preserve a baking sheet useful.
Preheat the air fryer to 375 levels F in accordance with the manufactuers directions. (For my air fryer, that’s 3 minutes of preheat time).
Drain the potatoes, then switch them to a clear towel and dry as utterly as you’ll be able to, altering the towel as wanted. Rinse and wipe out the bowl you soaked the potatoes in, then return the potatoes to the bowl.
Drizzle the potatoes with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and some other desired seasonings. Toss to coat, ensuring the spices and oil are nicely distributed.
FOR FAIRLY CRISPY, SATISFYING FRIES IN FEWER BATCHES: Place the potatoes within the air fryer basket, doing not more than two layers (my air fryer is 5 ½ quarts and I can add about ⅓ of the fries). Be sure the fries are usually not utterly packed collectively in order that the air has loads of room to flow into. Prepare dinner the fries for five minutes. Slide the basket out and use tongs to toss the fries. Return to the air fryer and proceed cooking for 3 to 7 further minutes, till crispy and golden brown. The time can fluctuate by a number of minutes based mostly in your air fryer mannequin. Examine on them just a few occasions throughout the previous couple of minutes to verify they don’t burn and make be aware of the time for future batches.
FOR MAXIMUM CRISPY FRIES IN MORE BATCHES: Place the potatoes in only one layer within the basket, being cautious that they do not contact a lot or overlap. Prepare dinner for 4 minutes, slide the basket out and flip with tongs, then proceed cooking for 4 to eight further minutes, till the fries are as crispy as you want to (once more, the time will fluctuate based mostly in your mannequin, so verify them a number of occasions throughout the previous couple of minutes and alter as wanted).
Take away the fries to a baking sheet or serving plate and instantly sprinkle with kosher salt.
Repeat with remaining potatoes, protecting the cooked fries heat on a baking sheet within the oven between batches as desired. Discard any liquid the potatoes have given off that has collected on the backside of the bowl. Sprinkle with any further desired toppings. Get pleasure from!
- *Russet potatoes are drier inside and provide you with a fry extra just like what you’d have in a restaurant. Yukon golds will provide you with fries with firmer, creamy insides and crispy outsides. We love each! Be happy to make use of your favourite or strive them each methods.
- **You can also make air fryer fries with no oil. Coat the air fryer rack with non-stick spray to forestall sticking.
- TO STORE: Place leftover fries in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Within the unlikely occasion of leftovers, you’ll be able to reheat the baked fries within the air fryer at 375 levels F or by preheating your oven to 400 levels F and inserting an empty baking sheet within the oven whereas the oven preheats. Unfold the leftover fries in a single layer on the recent pan (or within the air fryer basket), and recrisp. Nothing replaces the just-cooked style (the fries will dry out a bit), however they do perk up. I discovered air fryer fries reheated even higher than common fries, because the lesser quantity of oil inherently prevents them from getting soggy.
Serving: 1(of 4)Energy: 92kcalCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 2gFats: 2gSaturated Fats: 1gPotassium: 391mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 2IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 13mgIron: 1mg
Be a part of at present and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.