Asparagus Casserole is a bridge between seasons. Its creamy sauce and crispy prime are all cold-weather consolation, however its starring ingredient, asparagus, is among the first and happiest harbingers of spring.
This wholesome asparagus casserole is a springtime riff on my common Wholesome Inexperienced Bean Casserole.
Just like the inexperienced bean casserole recipe that impressed it, in addition to nearly all of these wholesome casserole recipes, it is a from-scratch casserole that ditches the cream of mushroom soup and makes use of easy elements you doubtless have already got round.
It’s equally as delicious because the inexperienced bean authentic, however since (not like inexperienced beans), you don’t must blanch the asparagus earlier than including it to the sauce, it’s faster and simpler to make.
It’s simple sufficient, nevertheless, that you just don’t want a special day to make it.
Plus, when spring arrives and asparagus is in season, that’s event sufficient to have a good time!
The right way to Make Asparagus Casserole
What makes this wholesome asparagus casserole particular is its use of contemporary elements.
Skip asparagus casserole cream of mushroom soup-style and positively skip canned asparagus casserole.
Whereas I’m all for a wise shortcut, right here utilizing the true deal pays off in each chunk.
- Asparagus. This low-calorie veggie is the delicious star of our casserole. It pairs fantastically with mushrooms and the tacky breadcrumb topping. Plus, asparagus is wealthy in fiber, nutritional vitamins, and folate.
- Mushrooms. Mushrooms convey earthy, umami goodness to the casserole, giving it deep taste. They’re additionally crammed with fiber, antioxidants, and nutritional vitamins.
- Milk. 2% milk supplies the casserole with the right quantity of richness with out the necessity for heavy cream.
- Flour. Helps thicken the casserole filling and makes it luscious.
- Spices. Salt, pepper, dried basil, and nutmeg give the casserole scrumptious taste.
- Greek Yogurt. Utilizing Greek yogurt to thicken casseroles is certainly one of my favourite wholesome hacks. It’s creamy, tangy, and full of protein.
- Contemporary Basil. Basil is a spectacular final touch that provides great freshness.
- Crispy Panko Topping. A mix of entire wheat panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan, lemon zest, and melted butter creates our crispy casserole topping. It’s completely tacky and flavorful!
Casserole Topping Choices
Crunch panko breadcrumbs are my go-to for casserole toppings, however they’re definitely not the one choice! Listed here are a number of concepts for methods to prime your asparagus casserole:
- Fried Onions. French fried onions are a casserole traditional, they usually’d be completely scrumptious on prime of this asparagus casserole.
- Bacon. The final word crowd-pleaser! End off the casserole with some crumbed items of Oven Baked Bacon.
- Nuts. For an additional crunchy end, strive topping your casserole with chopped nuts. Walnuts or pine nuts can be tasty right here.
- Stir the Parmesan topping collectively.
- Sauté the asparagus, onion, and mushrooms.
- Stir within the flour, till it disappears.
- Pour within the milk to make the sauce.
- As soon as the sauce has thickened, take away it from the warmth. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, and contemporary basil.
- Switch the combination to a baking dish.
- Add the breadcrumb combination on prime. Broil to toast the topping. Let stand for a couple of minutes, then DIG IN!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate casserole in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or gently within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze leftover casserole in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Plan Tip
The casserole might be assembled with out the topping via Step 6 as much as 1 day upfront or frozen as much as 1 month upfront; make certain you’re utilizing a freezer-safe baking dish. Cowl tightly and refrigerate (or freeze).
When able to bake, let come to room temperature (if the dish is within the freezer, place it within the fridge the night time earlier than to thaw). Sprinkle with the breadcrumb topping and bake as directed.
Beneficial Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Baking Dish. One in every of my most-loved kitchen instruments.
- Dutch Oven. The right software for getting ready the casserole elements.
- Citrus Juicer. My #1 hack for simply juicing lemons and limes.
Stunning Baking Dish
This high-quality baking dish will probably be your go-to for casseroles and a lot extra. It’s heavy-duty and can final a lifetime.
Asparagus season, we welcome you, casserole type!
- ½ cup entire wheat panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Zest of 1 small lemon plus 1 tablespoon juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 kilos asparagus trimmed and lower into 1-inch items
- 1 medium onion very thinly sliced
- 8 ounces child bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced (don’t use plain white mushrooms, as they don’t have a lot taste)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ⅛ teaspoon floor nutmeg
- 7 ounces 2% Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped contemporary basil plus extra for garnish
Place a rack within the higher third of your oven and preheat to broil. Evenly coat a 2-quart, broiler-safe baking dish with nonstick spray.
In a small bowl, stir collectively the panko, Parmesan, and lemon zest. Soften 2 tablespoons of the butter, pour excessive, then stir to moisten. Put aside.
In the meantime, warmth the oil and remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a big, extensive saucepan or Dutch oven over medium warmth. Add the asparagus, onion, and mushrooms. Cook dinner, stirring often, till the onion is gentle and golden and the mushrooms brown and have given up their liquid, about quarter-hour.
Sprinkle the flour excessive. Cook dinner, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes extra, till the entire flour turns golden and no white bits stay.
Slowly add the milk a number of splashes at a time, stirring between every addition to forestall lumps from forming. Enhance the warmth to medium excessive.
Stir within the salt, pepper, dried basil, and nutmeg. Cook dinner and stir, permitting the sauce to bubble, working a picket spoon or rubber spatula alongside the underside of the pan to forestall sticking.
Proceed cooking and stirring till the sauce reduces and thickens to resemble a creamy gravy, about 8 to 10 minutes. Run the spoon or spatula alongside the underside very often on the finish to ensure that your sauce isn’t sticking.
Take away the sauce from the warmth. Stir within the Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and contemporary basil. Style and regulate the seasoning as desired.
Spoon the combination into the ready baking dish and unfold into a good layer.
Sprinkle the breadcrumb combination excessive.
Switch to the oven and broil, watching carefully, till the casserole is effervescent and starting to brown on prime, 1 to three minutes, relying in your broiler. Let stand for five to 10 minutes previous to serving. Garnish with extra contemporary basil.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: The casserole might be assembled with out the topping via Step 6 as much as 1 day upfront or frozen as much as 1 month upfront; make certain you’re utilizing a freezer-safe baking dish. Cowl tightly and refrigerate. When able to bake, let come to room temperature (if the dish is within the freezer, place it within the fridge the night time earlier than to thaw). Sprinkle with breadcrumb topping and bake as directed.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate casserole in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze leftover casserole in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 10)Energy: 140kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 8gFats: 7gSaturated Fats: 4gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 16mgPotassium: 384mgFiber: 2gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 905IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 146mgIron: 2mg
Be part of in the present day and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.