Each time I’m requested for cooking recommendation, be it for somebody who’s simply studying to prepare dinner or somebody who’s cooked for years however has hit a recipe rut, considered one of my largest suggestions is to start out with one thing easy and wholesome—like Baked Cod—grasp it, then use it to create completely different recipe spinoffs in order that your meals keep thrilling and your recipe repertoire grows.
It’s frequent sense (pretty much as good recommendation usually is), however when you’re used to cooking the identical factor again and again, it may be onerous to see a recipe every other manner—together with when your full-time job is arising with recipes!
Case-in-point: I’ve lengthy liked and ceaselessly make baked fish for dinner. It’s straightforward, it’s wholesome, and Ben and I each adore it.
Once I consider baked fish, nevertheless, my mind will get caught on my go-to Baked Salmon in Foil. It’s a implausible recipe, and one that you may change up in quite a few methods to maintain it contemporary (Spicy Baked Salmon, Grilled Salmon in Foil, and Lemon Pepper Salmon are only a few recommendations).
It’s about time I take my very own recommendation and alter up baked cod, past considering of oven baked cod in foil!
Whereas I’ve actually coated the fundamentals: Grilled Cod, Pan Fried Cod, and crispy cod like this Fish and Chips (a baked cod with panko topping), I had but to give you one thing that felt contemporary.
Enter this baked cod with tomatoes and fennel!
Whereas on its face, this baked cod recipe is easy, the finishes round it make it excellent.
This wholesome baked cod recipe is prepared in lower than 40 minutes, is tremendous good for you, and it has a fantastic mix of Italian flavors and components.
It can delight and shock you in a manner that you just may not assume a fish as humble as cod is able to dong.
5 Star Evaluate
“I made this for dinner tonight, and it was wonderful! Even my choosy youngsters have been asking once we can have it once more. Tastes like a meal from a pleasant restaurant with little or no effort.”
— Elizabeth —
The right way to Make the Most Scrumptious Baked Cod with Greens
As a nod to my favourite contemporary components, I baked the cod with juicy tomatoes and herbs.
Since cherry tomatoes style fairly first rate year-round, so you may make baked cod with tomatoes in any season.
- Cod. Should you haven’t tried it earlier than, cod is a agency, pretty delicate fish. As a result of it doesn’t have a robust style, it’s nice for individuals who don’t like “fishy” fish. It can also tackle the flavors of no matter you place with it.
- Lemon. Making baked cod with lemon is basic, and for a very good purpose (I additionally used this combo in my Fish en Papillote). The lemon brightens up the cod and makes it style its finest; I can’t think about cod with out it.
- Tomatoes. I really like contemporary cherry tomatoes on this recipe, they usually style nice year-round.
- Yellow Onion. It caramelizes with the tomatoes and turns into jammy, crispy in locations, and candy.
- Fennel. Uncooked fennel tastes like licorice (and I’m not a lot of a fan). Sautéed and roasted fennel, nevertheless, is a very completely different story. I just like the depth it provides the baked cod. Should you want to not use fennel, you’ll be able to merely depart it out.
- White Wine. Splash in some for the cod; save the remainder for dinner!
- Capers. Briny, salty, and a DELISH, immediate approach to elevate your cooking. Attempt including just a few tablespoons to a few of your favourite Italian recipes.
- Salt, Pepper, and Pink Pepper Flakes. Baked cod with salt and pepper is scrumptious, and the crimson pepper flakes add a touch of warmth.
- Dry and season the cod.
- Squeeze lemon juice excessive.
- Prepare the cod in a baking dish.
- Saute the greens with the wine and capers. Add to the baking dish with the cod.
- Bake for 12 to fifteen minutes. This cod must be cooked at 375 levels F.
The right way to Inform When Cod is Completed
You realize the cod is completed when it flakes simply with a fork on the thickest half.
You too can use an immediate learn thermometer like this one to examine the temperature of the fish. It’s completed when it reaches 145 levels F.
For every serving, I wish to plate the cod fillet first, then spoon the vegetable combination and any juices that acquire within the pan over and round it.
A ending bathe of contemporary herbs makes the cod look fairly and contemporary, and it provides extra taste.
Serve the cod with a fruity, crisp white wine like Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. I like to make use of the identical wine to prepare dinner the fish as I do to serve with it.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic storage container for as much as 2 days. I wish to retailer the fish and veggies individually for simpler reheating.
- To Reheat. To keep away from drying out the fish, rewarm it in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F till heated by way of. Add a squeeze of contemporary lemon juice to wake the flavors again up. You too can reheat this dish very gently within the microwave or in a skillet on the range. The greens could be warmed within the oven, on the range, or within the microwave.
- To Freeze. I’ve discovered that fish doesn’t style pretty much as good as soon as it’s been frozen and reheated, but when you end up with leftovers, you’ll be able to attempt to freeze it. Place leftovers in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container within the freezer for as much as 1 month. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Really useful Instruments to Make Baked Cod
Excessive-High quality Baking Dish
This lovely and heavy-duty baking dish is right for every part from casseroles to baking fish. It can final you a lifetime.
I hope to take my very own recommendation and make many variations of this baked cod sooner or later…as quickly as I get uninterested in this explicit iteration, which hasn’t occurred but
Should you do this Italian baked cod, please depart a remark to let me know the way it got here out. Your feedback and 5-star opinions make my day and assist the location too!
- 4 6-ounce cod fillets
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ tablespoons further virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 1 bulb fennel quartered, core reduce away, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup dry white wine or unsalted rooster inventory
- 3 tablespoons capers drained
- ¼ teaspoon crushed crimson pepper flakes plus further to style
- Chopped contemporary herbs resembling parsley, dill, or thyme, for serving
Place a rack within the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 375 levels F. Frivolously coat a 9×13 or equally sized baking dish with nonstick spray.
Pat the cod dry. Prepare within the baking dish, and season with ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper. Squeeze the lemon excessive.
Warmth a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the olive oil. As soon as the oil is sizzling, add the onion, fennel, tomatoes, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Saute for 8 to 10 minutes till the onions and fennel are tender and the tomatoes start to interrupt down. Add the white wine. Let the wine cut back for 1 minute, then add the capers.
Spoon the tomato-fennel combination across the cod. Place within the oven and bake 12 to fifteen minutes, till fish is opaque and flakes simply with a fork. Sprinkle with contemporary herbs. Serve sizzling.
- TO STORE: Place leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 2 days. I want to retailer the cod and greens individually for simple reheating.
- TO REHEAT: To keep away from drying out the fish, rewarm it in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F till heated by way of. Add a squeeze of contemporary lemon juice to wake the flavors again up. You too can reheat this dish very gently within the microwave or in a skillet on the range. The greens could be warmed within the oven, on the range, or within the microwave.
Serving: 1(of 4)Energy: 263kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 33gFats: 7gSaturated Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 73mgPotassium: 1264mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 762IUVitamin C: 38mgCalcium: 78mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of right now and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.