The good BLT sandwich will at all times and endlessly hit the spot.
“BLT” stands for “bacon, lettuce, tomato” and is a basic sandwich the place these three elements star.
I look ahead to making BLTs each summer season, when tomatoes flood farm stands and I can ogle over their splendid array of colours, patterns, and shapes.
A BLT could be a factor of magnificence, however (as is commonly the case with the best recipes), they will also be distinctly underwhelming.
If up till now, your BLT expertise has consisted of sandwiches which might be any of the next: dry, bland, mushy, mealy, or slippery with mayo—you’ve been lacking out on one in all summer season’s most treasured jewels.
5 Star Overview
“Erin, oh my gawd, that is like one of the best BLT sandwich EVER!!!”
— Alice —
The Finest BLT Sandwich
In preparation for tomato season (and want for straightforward, virtually no-cook dinners) to come back, I took a take a look at this iconic sammie and developed what I think about my consummate BLT.
- It’s plump and juicy. We’re speaking drips-down-your-chin, the best way all legit sandwiches ought to.
- It really works with less-than-peak tomatoes. Dressing the tomatoes with a easy French dressing makes their taste shine, even when they’re lower than good.
- Ditch the mayo. In favor of mayo, I favor Greek yogurt. It’s simply as creamy and the refined tang is sweet with the bacon and tomato.
- Add avocado. Whereas non-obligatory, giving a BLT a California spin by including avocado takes it to the subsequent degree!
Who Invented the BLT?
I really like this little bit of historical past. Supposedly, the BLT was invented by John Montague, the Fourth Earl of Sandwich. He was a infamous gambler who was searching for a meal he may eat with one hand whereas throwing cube with the opposite. Sandwiches meant he didn’t want utensils or rise up from the playing desk.
Easy methods to Make The Good BLT
An awesome BLT is a pleasure you’ll look ahead to each summer season. A mediocre BLT is, properly, mediocre.
Bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo are the elements you sometimes placed on a BLT. Nevertheless, they’re definitely not the one—and even one of the best—choices.
Right here’s the way to make the all-time BLT!
- Bread. Whereas the “B” in BLT stands for bacon, I really feel like we’d be higher off calling it the “BBLT,” as a result of the bread is simply as vital. Select one thing sturdy sufficient to carry as much as the juicy tomatoes. Slice it thickly so that after toasted, the outsides are crisp whereas the insides stay tender.
- Bacon. Thick reduce, crispy, and a sandwich signature. I like to recommend buying good high quality bacon instantly from the butcher case. This sandwich has only a few elements, so each is vital.
- Lettuce. Select one thing gentle, crisp, and tender. Whereas iceberg is basic, I like to recommend butter lettuce or romaine, which have a little bit extra taste and are much less watery.
- Tomato. What makes a BLT a prize of summer season. Make sure that your tomatoes are as ripe as doable.
The Finest Tomatoes for BLTs
Peak, in-season tomatoes are finest, as a result of they’re the sweetest and juiciest, although you can also make BLT with any decently ripe tomato. Use a beefsteak tomato or heirloom tomato, and slice it thick.
In a pinch you can also make a BLT with Roma tomatoes, however their texture isn’t as very best for sandwiches as a hearty beefsteak tomato.
- Greek Yogurt. I’m going to say it: WAY BETTER THAN MAYO for BLTs! The Greek yogurt provides the slightest tang and is creamy, not oily. It’s additionally a extra wholesome possibility than mayo.
- Pink Wine Vinegar. This isn’t a BLT basic ingredient, however ever since making my BLT this fashion (a trick I realized from The New York Instances), I can’t do with out it. Dressing the tomatoes in a little bit purple wine vinegar heightens their candy style and makes this BLT recipe soar. It additionally soaks into the bread a little bit, which ensures your BLT doesn’t style dry.
- Salt and Pepper. Season your BLT (and nearly any tomato sandwich!). It makes each ingredient style higher.
- Bake the bacon till crisp.
- Unfold Greek yogurt on toasted bread slices.
- Frivolously salt and pepper the tomato slices, and drizzle with purple wine vinegar. Add to bread slices together with lettuce.
- Add crispy bacon slices on prime.
- Add avocado slices on prime. Take pleasure in!
Take Your BLT to the Subsequent Degree
Sure, sure a basic BLT is beautiful, however generally you desire a fancy BLT.
Listed here are my favourite elements so as to add to a BLT to create the final word BLT sandwich of your goals:
- Avocado. I add one virtually each time. The creaminess towards the crispness of the bacon is a pleasure.
- Cheese. For an additional yummy twist, make your BLT with cheese (I wish to toast it on the skillet so the cheese melts). Go all-American with cheddar or for an Italian spin, strive provolone or fontina.
- Fried Egg. You haven’t lived till you make at the very least one BLT with egg that runs down your chin. It additionally makes for a imply breakfast sandwich.
- Jam. For a candy/salty spin, unfold your BLT sandwich with fig jam or raspberry jam.
Sandwiches, particularly juicy, messy ones like BLTs, are finest loved instantly after being made. Cooked bacon can final within the fridge for a number of days, so in case you have some leftover, you possibly can retailer it, then recrisp it on the range or within the oven for a contemporary sandwich.
Beneficial Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Baking Sheet. Constituted of pure aluminum, which gained’t rust and evenly conducts warmth.
- Non-Slip Chopping Board. Its double-sided, non-porous floor doesn’t boring knife blades.
The Finest Serrated Bread Knife
This Zwilling bread knife is made with a excessive carbon chrome steel and ergonomic deal with. Very sturdy too!
When the nights are heat and lengthy, dinner is open air and easy, and a basic is what you crave, BLT is simply the factor to make. I hope this turns into your final BLT too!
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon
- 4 to eight tender inexperienced lettuce leaves washed and spun dry
- 1 ripe heirloom tomato reduce into 1/2-inch thick slices (if tomatoes should not in season, use small on the vine tomatoes as an alternative)
- 2 teaspoons purple wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Floor black pepper
- 4 slices good high quality sturdy entire wheat bread (I like sourdough)
- 4 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 ripe avocado sliced
Preheat the oven to 400 levels F.
For straightforward clear up, line a baking sheet with foil. Place a baking wire rack on prime, coat the rack with non-stick spray, then prepare the bacon on the rack in a single layer. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, till the bacon is crisp. Switch to a paper towel-lined plate and pat dry.
Prepare the tomato slices in a single layer and drizzle with the vinegar. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
In the direction of the top of the bacon’s cooking time, place the bread slices on a sheet pan (or instantly on the oven rack) and toast within the oven for five minutes. Flip the slices over and toast for 1 further minute, till the bread is evenly browned. Then place 2 slices of the toasted bread on a slicing board or plate. Unfold every slice with 1 tablespoon of yogurt.
Place a layer of lettuce on prime. Add the tomatoes on prime of the lettuce, evenly shaking off extra juice.
Add 3 slices of bacon (tear the bacon in half as wanted to assist it match).
Add the avocado, then sprinkle with a further pinch of salt and pepper. Unfold every of the remaining slices of toasted bread with 1 tablespoon of yogurt. Place, yogurt-side down, on prime. Lower the BLT sandwiches in half and serve.
Serving: 1of twoEnergy: 435kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 18gFats: 27gSaturated Fats: 7gPolyunsaturated Fats: 4gMonounsaturated Fats: 13gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 30mgPotassium: 795mgFiber: 9gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 5482IUVitamin C: 16mgCalcium: 126mgIron: 3mg
Be a part of as we speak and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.