Probably the most cherished cookbook in my assortment is a spiral-bound, home-printed assortment of my grandma’s recipes. I flip by way of it typically, as a lot to seek for new recipe concepts as to recollect her. As we speak’s creamy Rooster Stroganoff is impressed by her basic stroganoff recipe.
Like this delicious rooster stroganoff from scratch, her recipes are decidedly unfussy, stick-to-your-ribs comforting, and can attraction to even the pickiest of palettes.
(This Do-it-yourself Hamburger Helper is one other crowd-pleasing favourite.)
My grandma and grandpa are not with me, however after I learn my grandma’s cookbook, I’m transported again to the hours I spent within the kitchen with the 2 of them.
As we speak’s recipe for a lightened-up, wholesome rooster stroganoff does range from my grandma’s more-decadent authentic, but it surely maintains each little bit of its warming spirit and nostalgia.
5 Star Assessment
“Superior recipe! Tremendous straightforward to make and really tasty. Creamy and scrumptious however nonetheless wholesome, which is nice.”
— Nicole —
The best way to Make Wholesome Rooster Stroganoff
This straightforward pasta recipe recipe additionally shares my grandma’s practicality and good frequent sense.
She was a mom of 9, and that meant dinner wanted to be quick, filling, and scrumptious.
This home made rooster stroganoff recipe is prepared in 25 minutes flat.
It’s so fast and simple to prepare dinner from scratch, there’s no must make rooster stroganoff with cream of mushroom soup!
What’s Stroganoff Sauce Made Of?
Conventional stroganoff sauce is manufactured from mushrooms, a butter/flour roux, garlic, and broth, together with herbs like thyme. Sometimes it’s completed with bitter cream (this wholesome model makes use of yogurt as an alternative). The mushrooms give the sauce deep taste, and the yogurt and flour assist to make the stroganoff thick and creamy.
- Floor Rooster. Utilizing lean floor rooster on this recipe is one in every of my favourite wholesome hacks. It’s nonetheless loads flavorful and works completely on this recipe.
- Mushrooms. This stroganoff sauce is manufactured from mushrooms, giving it a complexity of taste that implies you spent hours making it, as an alternative of minutes. Mushrooms are filled with antioxidants and fiber.
- All-Function Flour. All-purpose flour is the way you make stroganoff thicker. It helps create the luscious sauce that makes this dish extremely comforting.
- Complete Wheat Egg Noodles. To maintain issues gentle, I opted for entire wheat egg noodles. They’ve a delicious texture and pair completely with the creamy sauce.
- 2% Greek Yogurt. Together with the flour, Greek yogurt makes stroganoff thicker. It additionally provides scrumptious tang. Plus, Greek yogurt is filled with protein, which helps make this dish extra satisfying.
- Herbs + Spices. The way you add taste to stroganoff! As a result of floor rooster is pretty bland by itself, to offer the dish loads of pizzazz, I used a mix of spices you’ll all the time discover in my pantry: black pepper, salt, dried thyme, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
- Brown the rooster with the spices. Add the mushrooms. Stir within the flour.
- Stir in a part of the rooster inventory. Then, add the remaining inventory and noodles. Deliver to a boil and stir. Let simmer till the noodles are tender.
- Take away the pan from the warmth. Stir within the yogurt. DIG IN!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate stroganoff in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low warmth. Add a splash of rooster inventory as wanted.
- To Freeze. Freeze stroganoff in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Really useful Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Greatest Dutch Oven
This high-quality Dutch oven will final you a lifetime. It’s heavy-duty and excellent for on a regular basis use.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound floor rooster
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Thyme Leaves
- 2 ½ teaspoons McCormick Smoked Paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons McCormick Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon McCormick Floor Black Pepper
- 16 ounces cremini child bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups unsalted rooster inventory I used Kitchen Fundamentals
- 8 ounces entire wheat egg noodles
- ½ cup 2% Greek yogurt at room temperature*
- Chopped contemporary parsley non-compulsory
In a big, deep skillet or a dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid, warmth the olive oil over medium. As soon as scorching, add the rooster, thyme, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Proceed to prepare dinner, breaking apart the meat with a spoon, till it’s absolutely browned on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the sliced mushrooms. Proceed to prepare dinner till the mushrooms start to melt, about 5 to six minutes. Sprinkle the flour excessive, then stir in order that it coats the rooster and mushrooms.
Add about one-third of the rooster inventory. Stir and work the flour off of the underside off the pan. Add the remainder of the inventory and the egg noodles and canopy the pan. Deliver the liquid to a boil, then instantly take away the lid and stir the pan. Re-cover, then scale back the warmth to a low simmer. Let simmer till the noodles are al dente and a lot of the liquid is absorbed, about 7 minutes, stirring the noodles and changing the lid each couple of minutes. If at any level the liquid drops beneath a mild simmer, enhance the warmth barely.
As soon as the noodles are tender, take away the pan from the warmth and let sit 1 minute to chill barely. Stir within the room-temperature Greek yogurt. Style and modify seasonings as desired. Sprinkle with contemporary parsley and serve scorching.
Serving: 1(of 5), about 2 cupsEnergy: 396kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 30gFats: 16gSaturated Fats: 4gLdl cholesterol: 137mgFiber: 5gSugar: 3g
Be a part of as we speak and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.