Scalloped potatoes have been assigned obligatory attendance at my household’s vacation meals. If we’re collectively, you higher imagine some are effervescent away in a casserole dish close by. Immediately’s recipe for Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes is a neater, tastier method to serve them.
Regardless of their omnipresence, scalloped potatoes have all the time been my least favourite aspect (until we’re speaking about these goat cheese studded Selfmade Scalloped Potatoes).
I don’t discover them offensive; they only give me the all-around response of “meh.”
I’ll pile a couple of on my plate as a result of they’re, you recognize, there, however my coronary heart isn’t actually in it. Till at present.
These crockpot scalloped potatoes style of house cooking, pure consolation, and their texture is tender perfection.
Utilizing each buttery Yukon Gold potatoes AND candy potatoes makes this recipe one thing further particular.
And the signature scalloped potato sauce? All the things it ought to have been all alongside!
Whereas many scalloped potato dishes I’ve tried are swimming in a greasy, skinny sauce that’s 99% heavy cream but mysteriously bland (I’m nonetheless unsure how that is potential, nevertheless it’s true), the sauce for these crockpot scalloped potatoes is wealthy, tacky, and packs actual pizzazz from the usage of contemporary garlic, nutmeg, and dreamy white cheddar.
5 Star Assessment
“Everybody beloved it! These have been means higher than any I’ve made within the oven and the comfort of having the ability to do the prep forward of time and utilizing the oven for different dishes whereas the gradual cooker did the work was simply icing on the cake!”
— Sharon —
The Finest Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes
Making scalloped potatoes within the gradual cooker requires avoiding three main pitfalls:
- The milk curdling.
- The potatoes turning into soupy.
- The potatoes turning out arduous.
Stopping Curdling. As a substitute of making an attempt to cook dinner the sauce within the gradual cooker with the potatoes, make it on the range first, then poured it over the potato slices within the crock pot. In case you’ve had your milk curdle up to now, this stovetop methodology will keep away from it.
Avoiding Soupy Potatoes. Place a layer of paper towels underneath the lid. The towel will soak up extra moisture. Be sure you additionally cook dinner the potatoes on HIGH (extra under).
Make Your Potatoes Tender. In case your potatoes prove arduous within the gradual cooker, likelihood is your warmth wasn’t excessive sufficient. Use the excessive (not low) setting in your gradual cooker to make sure the potatoes cook dinner by with out turning into soupy.
This scalloped potato recipe can also be lighter than most, however I promise you received’t miss the heavy cream one bit. They style fully decadent.
Simply LOOK at that tacky high and creamy sauce!
Usually, the distinction between scalloped and au gratin potatoes is the usage of cheese. As a substitute of constructing these crockpot scalloped potatoes with out cheese, I made a decision to interrupt the principles and use cheese right here too.
So, I suppose you might name these “gradual cooker scalloped potatoes au gratin” or “crockpot scalloped potatoes”. Simply promise me you’ll strive them both means!
How you can Make Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes
This scalloped potato recipe is foolproof, crowd-pleasing, and really scrumptious!
The creamy sauce ensures you’ll be upping your tacky potato recipe sport and liberating up your oven on the similar time too.
- Potatoes. I like mixing each the buttery Yukon Golds and candy potatoes for this recipe. Making the easy change of integrating candy potatoes with the common “white” potatoes offers the dish a way more fascinating taste profile. Not solely do the candy potatoes add lovely colour and candy taste to the dish, however they’re additionally filled with fiber and vitamin-A.
- Butter. Vital in scalloped potatoes for richness and taste.
- All-Goal Flour. Helps thicken the creamy, tacky sauce and stop the milk from curdling.
- Nonfat Milk. I selected to make these crockpot scalloped potatoes with nonfat milk, and it was good. Nobody will discover that these are lightened up.
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg. A bit of contemporary nutmeg provides fantastic heat, pairs nicely with the cheese, and catapults these potatoes to aspect dish stardom.
- Cheeses. Freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese create the very best taste and texture. I like to recommend avoiding pre-shredded cheeses (grate your personal from the block), as they received’t soften as properly.
Change It Up!
For an additional veggie, you might add sautéed mushrooms.
Crockpot scalloped potatoes and ham or bacon would even be scrumptious. Cook dinner and cube the bacon or ham earlier than including it to the recipe.
- Lay the potato slices in a gradual cooker.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Proceed layering with potato slices and seasoning till all of the potatoes have been used.
- Put together the sauce on the range.
- Take away from the warmth, then whisk within the cheese, spices, and herbs.
- Pour the sauce into the gradual cooker. Lay paper towels excessive of the gradual cooker, cowl, and cook dinner on HIGH for two ½ to 4 hours.
- High with Parmesan cheese and cook dinner uncovered on HIGH for 10 minutes. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm potatoes in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F.
I don’t advocate freezing this dish, as potatoes can change into mealy as soon as thawed.
Really useful Instruments to Make Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes
- Sluggish Cooker. Unlock your oven area by making this recipe within the gradual cooker.
- Mandoline. The most effective for quick, even potato slices.
- Cheese Grater. Mess-free and simple to wash.
The Finest Sluggish Cooker
One among my most-used kitchen home equipment. It’s superb for hands-free cooking, cozy soups, casseroles, and extra!
- 2 ¾ cups Yukon Gold potatoes peeled, ¼-inch-sliced (about 1 pound or 3-4 medium potatoes)*
- 2 ¾ cups candy potatoes peeled, ⅙-inch-sliced (about ¾ pound or 2 medium/massive potatoes—slice these barely thinner than the Yukon Gold potatoes)*
- Kosher salt about 1 ½ to 2 teaspoons, plus ¼ to ½ teaspoon for the sauce
- Freshly floor black pepper about 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons for the potatoes, plus ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon for the sauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (¼ cup)
- ¼ cup finely diced yellow onion about ½ of a small onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg**
- 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese*** (about 2 ½ ounces)
- 2 teaspoons chopped contemporary thyme
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Generously coat the within of a 6-quart gradual cooker with cooking spray. (See recipe notes if utilizing a smaller gradual cooker.)
Place a layer of potato slices within the backside of the gradual cooker, alternating the Yukon Golds and sweets. Generously sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper (don’t skimp or the potatoes can be bland). Repeat with a second layer of potatoes, one other sprinkling of salt and pepper, then one other layer of potatoes, persevering with till all of the potato slices have been used.
Soften the butter in a medium saucepan over medium warmth with the onion. Sauté till the onion is comfortable and starting to show translucent, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour excessive, then whisk consistently till it turns a golden colour and smells nutty, about 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook dinner 30 seconds. Slowly pour within the milk a couple of splashes at a time, whisking consistently to clean any clumps. As you add the milk, the combination ought to start to type a paste that turns into rising golden. End including the milk, then enhance the warmth to medium excessive. Let cook dinner, stirring consistently, till the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 6-8 minutes. Take away the pan from the warmth, then stir within the nutmeg, grated cheese, and half of the thyme. Proceed whisking till the cheese melts and you’ve got a clean, wealthy sauce. Add ¼ teaspoon kosher salt and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper. Style and add further salt and pepper as desired.
Pour the sauce evenly over the potatoes, then jiggle the gradual cooker gently in order that the sauce seeps all the way down to the assorted layers. Don’t stir. Drape a triple layer of paper towels excessive of the gradual cooker in order that the edges of the paper towels overhang the sting, then cowl the gradual cooker with the lid excessive of the paper towels. Cook dinner for two ½ to 4 hours on excessive, till the potatoes are tender, altering out the paper towels midway by in the event that they change into soggy. The cooking time can differ broadly relying upon your gradual cooker, so alter accordingly. Begin checking on the 2 ½ hour mark, then each 15 to half-hour afterward relying on how the potatoes are progressing.
As soon as the potatoes are tender, uncover and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining thyme. Cook dinner on excessive, uncovered, for 10 minutes to permit the cheese to soften and the highest to crisp. Serve instantly or maintain heat within the gradual cooker for as much as 1 hour.
- *I like to recommend utilizing a mandoline for quick, guaranteed-even slicing of the potatoes. It’s vital that the slices be the identical relative measurement to make sure even cooking.
- **I all the time advocate grating your personal nutmeg from entire nutmeg as an alternative of shopping for pre-ground. The flavour is spectacular! I exploit this zester to do it. In any other case, common floor nutmeg might be substituted.
- ***I like to recommend utilizing full-fat cheese for the recipe, because it melts essentially the most evenly. Low-fat cheese can be used, however don’t use fats free, because it is not going to soften fully. Keep away from pre-shredded cheeses, as they’ve a powdered coating that stops caking and thus could not soften correctly and may even make the potatoes greasy.
- If utilizing a smaller gradual cooker, scale back the recipe accordingly to make sure that the potatoes cook dinner fully (if utilizing a 4-quart, scale back to two-thirds of the overall recipe; if utilizing a 3-quart, scale back to half, and so on.).
- I do NOT advocate cooking this recipe on low warmth, because the potatoes are inclined to prove soggy and won’t cook dinner by correctly.
Serving: 1servingEnergy: 262kcalCarbohydrates: 31gProtein: 10gFats: 12gSaturated Fats: 7gLdl cholesterol: 34mgPotassium: 618mgFiber: 4gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 6978IUVitamin C: 18mgCalcium: 240mgIron: 1mg
Be part of at present and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.