Takeout will get a wholesome makeover with this straightforward Egg Roll in a Bowl! It’s an unstoppably tasty lunch, dinner, and/or snack munched straight out of the fridge for those who’re feeling impatient whereas the rice is cooking (me!).
Think about your favourite Asian takeout joint’s home particular egg roll, however as an alternative of limiting your self to 1 or two to save lots of room for the primary occasion, this delish egg roll in a bowl is the primary occasion.
This recipe takes the star gamers in a basic egg roll filling—the juicy meat (or tofu, for those who favor your egg roll in a bowl vegetarian), the zippy contemporary ginger and garlic, the salty, umami-factor soy sauce, and the colourful, skinny strips of contemporary veggies—and turns them into a quick, wholesome meal that’s nice for fast dinners and tastes phenomenal reheated too.
Right here’s the way it works: You pile the delicious egg roll filling over rice (or cauliflower rice for those who favor your egg roll in a bowl low carb), seize your fork (or your chopsticks if you’re savvy like that), and DIVE ON IN!
You received’t even miss the normal wrapper.
5 Star Overview
“GUYS – make this RIGHT AWAY! It’s severely so good, I couldn’t cease standing there on the counter consuming it over the bowl when it was completed.”
— Rachael —
How you can Make this Egg Roll in a Bowl
This recipe takes what’s in an egg roll—meat, greens, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and ginger—and turns them inside out.
Your complete dish cooks in a single skillet, and the filling is prepared in fewer than half-hour.
That’s quicker than supply, and so significantly better for you (and higher tasting!) too.
- Floor Turkey. Historically egg rolls are made with pork, however as I used to be seeking to make mine wholesome, I made this egg roll in a bowl with floor turkey as an alternative.
- Mushrooms. Even for those who don’t love mushrooms, I extremely suggest including them to this recipe. Like my Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps, the mushrooms’ style will not be outstanding. As a result of they’re finely chopped, their texture isn’t noticeable both. Mushrooms have a wealthy, distinctive savoriness that deepens the flavour of this egg roll riff.
- Contemporary Greens. I exploit a combo of grated carrots (sure, you should utilize those that come pre-shredded in these cute little luggage) and my different favourite quick-fix veggie, broccoli coleslaw. They make the dish colourful and supply vitamins too.
- Garlic, Ginger, Soy Sauce, Rice Vinegar. The unbelievable 4. Upon getting these readily available, you’ll be able to deal with any of those wholesome stir fry recipes.
- Sesame Oil. GAME CHANGER proper right here. A drizzle of this golden nectar provides intense, nutty taste to any Asian-inspired recipe.
- Whisk collectively soy sauce and cornstarch, stir within the turkey, and let marinate whilst you prep the greens.
- Brown the turkey with the onions and mushrooms.
- Add the slaw, carrots, ginger, and garlic.
- Add the remaining egg roll components. Pile over rice and ENJOY!
- To Make Whole30 or Paleo. For a Paleo and Whole30 egg roll in a bowl, swap coconut aminos for the soy sauce and arrowroot starch for the cornstarch.
- To Make Keto. Comply with the above instructions for Whole30.
- To Make Vegetarian. Swap the meat for crumbled extra-firm tofu. Press the water out of the tofu first, then crumble it proper into the blending bowl with the soy sauce and cornstarch.
- To Make Gluten Free. Use tamari as an alternative of soy sauce.
- Korean Beef Bowl. A equally enjoyable, quick, and scrumptious bowl recipe.
- Cabbage Stir Fry. A scrumptious, equally straightforward spin on this reader favourite.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate the egg roll filling in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days. You’ll be able to retailer the rice by itself or portion all the things collectively into particular person serving containers for a meal-prep strategy.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers within the microwave or in a wok over medium-low warmth.
- To Freeze. Place leftovers in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container and freeze for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating. I discover the leftovers lose a few of their zip, so I prefer to high mine with a number of shakes of additional soy sauce.
In case you overlook to thaw your frozen leftovers, you possibly can reheat them slowly within the microwave or on the range with a splash of water (I did this and it was wonderful!).
For a scrumptious low-carb meal, wrap the filling inside lettuce cups. You might additionally high the leftovers with a fried egg for a tasty meal.
Advisable Instruments to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Small Whisk. No extra splashing your components everywhere in the counter with this small whisk.
- Wok. A wok will not be essential to make this recipe, but it surely’s an important funding. This can be a extra reasonably priced choice. You can also make this recipe in any massive skillet.
The Finest Wok
I’ve had this one for a few years, and I nonetheless find it irresistible. It’s good for making any stir fries.
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce divided (use coconut aminos to make Paleo, Keto, Whole30, or gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch use arrowroot starch to make Paleo, Whole30, or Keto
- 16 ounces 90% or 93% lean floor turkey to make vegetarian, swap crumbled extra-firm tofu (press it dry first)
- 8 ounces child bella (cremini) mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small bunch inexperienced onions divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, grapeseed oil, or comparable neutrally flavored high-temperature cooking oil olive oil will smoke, so I counsel one in all these different oils as an alternative
- 1 (12-ounce) bag broccoli coleslaw
- 1 cup grated carrots freshly grated from peeled carrots or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon minced contemporary ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons contemporary chili paste (sambal oelek) or sizzling sauce of selection plus extra to style
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon floor black pepper
- Ready brown rice
- Ready quinoa
- Cauliflower rice
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk collectively 1 tablespoon soy sauce and cornstarch with a fork. Add the turkey, breaking up the meat and stirring to coat with the sauce. Let marinate 10 minutes.
In the meantime, chop the mushrooms very finely and mince the garlic. Thinly slice the inexperienced onions. If any of your different components will not be but prepped, do it now.
Warmth a wok or massive, deep sauté pan over excessive warmth. Add the oil and swirl to coat. Add the marinated turkey and cook dinner, breaking up the meat into small bits with a heatproof spatula, till it’s now not pink and absolutely cooked by way of, about 5 minutes. Add the inexperienced onions (reserve a small handful for serving) and mushrooms and cook dinner till the mushrooms soften, about 2 extra minutes.
Scale back the warmth to medium low. Add the broccoli coleslaw, carrots, ginger, and garlic. Stir-fry for two minutes, till the greens are softened.
Add the rice vinegar, chili paste, sesame oil, black pepper, and remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, then stir to mix. Proceed to cook dinner for 1 extra minute. Style and add extra soy sauce, sizzling sauce, or black pepper as desired. Scoop into serving bowls (over brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice if desired). Serve sizzling, sprinkled with extra inexperienced onions.
- TO STORE: Retailer the egg roll filling in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as 4 days. You’ll be able to retailer the rice by itself or portion all the things collectively into particular person serving containers for a meal-prep strategy.
- TO FREEZE: Place leftovers in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container and freeze for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, then reheat gently within the microwave or on the range high. I discover the leftovers lose a few of their zip, so I prefer to high mine with a number of shakes of additional soy sauce.
Serving: 1of 4, about 1 ½ cupsEnergy: 281kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 27gFats: 15gSaturated Fats: 4gLdl cholesterol: 80mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4g
Be part of at the moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.