Born within the fifteenth century, El Rastro has been evolving and rising, whereas its existence has been regulated by the native authorities.
Right now there isn’t a journey information about Madrid which doesn’t point out El Rastro, and its worldwide status is corresponding to different in style markets in a number of European cities like Waterlooplein in Amsterdam, the Portobello market in London or the Porta Portese in Rome. It’s most undoubtedly the most well-liked Sunday flea market in Madrid.
So, if you happen to spend a number of days within the metropolis, a go to to the El Rastro flea market in Madrid actually is a should.
When & the place is El Rastra held?
El Rastro takes place each Sunday and public vacation of the yr, from 9 am to three pm, within the Embajadores neighbourhood.
A most of 3500 stalls cowl the world from the Plaza de Cascorro, within the north, alongside the principle thoroughfare of Ribera de Curtidores and adjoining streets to Calle Embajadores within the east and the Ronda de Toledo and Plaza del Campillo del Mundo Nuevo within the south.
Attributable to its dimension it may be reached from totally different metro stations: Line 3 (Embajadores, Lavapiés or Sol), Line 5 (La Latina, Puerta de Toledo or Acacias), Line 1 (Tirso de Molina or Sol) and Line 2 (Sol or Opera).
Why is El Rastra the most well-liked Sunday flea market in Madrid?
A unique and heterogenic group of individuals meet right here to take a look and discover that discount they’ll’t discover wherever else, it doesn’t matter in the event that they’re hippie, punk, posh, previous or younger. In its stalls folks can discover an ideal number of merchandise, from second-hand clothes, antiques, crafts, books, information, furnishings and even plugs. I believe there’s nothing you possibly can’t discover at El Rastro.
In truth you’ll in all probability see issues at this flea market in Madrid that you might have by no means imagined.
Navigating the totally different areas in El Rastra
Sure streets or areas inside El Rastro are related, both by custom or by the gathering of specialist stalls, with specific wares.
– Calle Fray Ceferino Gonzales is named “calle de los Pájaros” (‘road of the birds’) because it was the place pedlars and travelling sellers used to promote home animals and birds. Because the municipal regulation of 2000 animals can solely be offered in shops.
– Calle San Cayetano is also referred to as “calle de los Pintores” (‘road of the Painters’), as its everlasting stalls promote work, drawings and artwork provides.
– Calle Rodas, Plaza de Normal Vara del Rey and Plaza de Campillo del Mundo Nuevo specialize in shopping for and promoting magazines, buying and selling playing cards and stamps. Younger kids often meet right here to swap and commerce playing cards with one another.
– Plaza del Normal Vara del Rey additionally gives various stalls promoting garments.
– Calle Carnero and calle Carlos Arniches are the place you’ll find stalls promoting previous, uncommon and collectible books.
– Plaza de Cascorro specialises in promoting funky clothes and accessories.
– Calle Mira el Sol sells movies and associated objects from Andrei Tarkovsky to Almodobar.
– La Ronda de Toledo often sells music and associated objects.
Meals on the El Rastro flea market in Madrid
However in the future in El Rastro will not be full with no cease to have some tapas.
In most of the bars and taverns within the neighbouring streets to El Rastro is feasible to style a few of the specialties of Madrid’s gastronomy, accompanied by a glass of wine or a beer.
There are additionally extremely popular bars the place you possibly can have low cost bocadillos (sandwiches) such because the squid one (a Madrid’s specialty), but additionally others such chorizo, Spanish omelette, cheese, and many others.
After this exhausting and in style day within the metropolis you higher be staying in one of many flats in Madrid close to El Rastro, since you’ll in all probability be loaded down with procuring!
Visiting Madrid? Take a look at these posts: