Lasagna, with its proud layers, old-school standing, and bronzed, tacky high, belongs on a pasta pedestal. After I let you know declaratively that that is the perfect, most final Vegetable Lasagna, know that I’m staking my declare with the utmost respect!
Tacky, saucy, and bursting with hearty Italian zest, this simple vegetable lasagna does justice to the Italian traditional.
With its declarative hug-you-from-the-inside vibe, this vegetarian lasagna is a pan of consolation, precisely what you want when you end up craving lasagna within the first place.
It’s meatless, sure, however this lasagna recipe is about excess of the absence of meat. It’s a vegetable celebration!
Spinach. Candy potatoes. Bell peppers. Zucchini. It is a backyard vegetable lasagna that celebrates bounty.
This recipe blends conventional tacky goodness with fashionable wholesome touches.
Whereas conventional lasagna recipes could be dangerous for you in extra as a result of they’re made with heavy components, this vegetarian lasagna is lightened up sufficient to be wholesome. It nonetheless tastes decadent sufficient to fulfill.
The right way to Make Vegetable Lasagna
This veggie lasagna is manufactured from complete wheat noodles, part-skim ricotta cheese, a mixture of contemporary and frozen greens, and doctored-up ready tomato sauce to maintain it simple.
A Vegetable Lasagna for All Seasons
Be happy to regulate the greens on this recipe for the greens you’ve in your backyard or which can be freshest on the market.
- Oven Prepared (No Boil) Lasagna Noodles. Since lasagna already requires plenty of steps, I want to go the straightforward route and use oven-ready (no boil) noodles. You possibly can add them proper to the vegetarian lasagna, with out the fuss of boiling, draining, and drying them first. I exploit complete wheat noodles for an additional fiber enhance.
- Half-Skim Ricotta Cheese. The important thing to the creamy filling. I discover part-skim tastes a lot indulgent, and it helps to make the vegetable lasagna lighter.
- Greens. Candy potato, bell peppers, crimson onion, and zucchini make up our nutritious backyard of contemporary veggies. They offer the lasagna substance and scrumptious contemporary taste.
- Frozen Spinach. Utilizing frozen spinach as an alternative of contemporary is a fast and simple shortcut that I really like the use right here.
- Dried Basil. Provides Italian taste to the vegetable combination.
- Tomato Sauce. As I share in my cookbook, utilizing store-bought tomato sauce is a invaluable timesaver. This stellar shortcut helps make this a straightforward vegetable lasagna with out sacrificing any of the flavour!
- Balsamic Vinegar. Brings a deep, simmered-all-day taste to the sauce. Don’t skip it. It makes the sauce pop.
- Melty Cheese. A scrumptious melty cheese like mozzarella, Fontina, or Provolone (I used all three!) will create that all-important and beloved tacky goodness.
- Parmesan. Vital addition to our cheese layers.
- Sauté the greens.
- Stir within the tomato sauce and vinegar. Carry to a simmer.
- Stir collectively the ricotta and spinach combination.
- Add a skinny layer of the tomato sauce combination to the underside of the baking dish. High with 3 lasagna noodles.
- Unfold extra sauce over the noodles, then add half of the ricotta combination. High with further sauce and a part of the mozzarella.
- Add 3 extra noodles, then unfold the remaining ricotta combination on high. High with extra mozzarella.
- Lay the three remaining noodles on high, then add the remaining sauce.
- End with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cowl and bake the lasagna at 400 levels F for 25 minutes. Uncover and rotate the dish, then bake for one more 15 to twenty minutes. Let cool for quarter-hour. DIG IN!
Why is My Lasagna Watery?
- Watery Spinach. When utilizing frozen spinach, it is very important drain it and squeeze it VERY dry earlier than utilizing it within the recipe.
- Cooling Time. It’s best to let the lasagna cool for a couple of minutes previous to chopping it, or it will possibly develop into runny.
- Moist Noodles. In case you use noodles that have to be boiled, you could drain them and allow them to dry fully earlier than including them to the layers.
Pair this lasagna with an Italian crimson wine, like Sangiovese or Chianti Classico. White wine followers can strive a clean, creamy Chardonnay.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate lasagna in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F.
- To Freeze. Freeze leftovers in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
I like to chop my leftover lasagna into particular person parts earlier than freezing, which makes it simple to thaw meals on demand.
Meal Plan Tip
Put together the unbaked lasagna as directed, then cowl and refrigerate it for as much as 1 day or freeze for as much as 3 months (make sure that your dish is freezer-safe). If refrigerated, let the lasagna come to room temperature previous to baking. If frozen, let the lasagna thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than bringing it to room temperature and baking.
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
Stunning Baking Dish
This stunning, high-quality baking dish is an funding, however it should prepare dinner beside you for a lifetime.
Final vegetable lasagna, right here to dish up layers of pasta love!
Vegetable Lasagna Recipe Video
In case you take pleasure in this veggie lasagna video, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. Be sure you click on the BELL icon so that you could be the primary to know after we submit a brand new video (and thanks for subscribing!).
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small candy potato peeled and ¼-to ½-inch diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 crimson bell peppers chopped
- 1 small crimson onion diced
- 1 medium zucchini chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 2 (24-ounce jars) good high quality tomato pasta sauce I exploit Roasted Garlic
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (10-ounce) bundle frozen spinach drained and squeezed dry
- 1 (15-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups freshly grated melty Italian cheese reminiscent of Mozzarella, Fontina, or Provolone (I did a mix of all three. DELISH!)
- ½ cup freshly finely grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 giant egg
- 9 oven-ready (no boil) complete wheat lasagna noodles (I like Delallo), about 5.5 ounces
- Contemporary basil for serving
Preheat the oven to 400 levels F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
In a big saucepan or Dutch oven, warmth the olive oil over medium warmth. Add the candy potato, bell peppers, crimson onion, zucchini, dried basil, and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt. Cook dinner till the greens are tender and start to brown, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomato sauce and balsamic to the greens. Stir to mix then convey the combination to a mild simmer. Let simmer, stirring sometimes, for 10 minutes.
In a big bowl add the ricotta, ¼ cup Parmesan, egg, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Combine effectively, till the combination is evenly mixed.
Stir within the spinach, utilizing a fork to interrupt it up and distribute it as evenly with the ricotta combination as doable.
Unfold a skinny layer of the vegetable tomato sauce on the underside of the ready baking dish in an excellent layer. Organize 3 lasagna noodles on high, breaking the ends if wanted in order that they match. Go away some house across the noodles, as they are going to increase as they prepare dinner.
High the noodles with ⅓ of the remaining sauce, half of the ricotta combination, the subsequent ⅓ portion of the sauce, and ½ cup of the mozzarella.
High with 3 extra noodles, the remaining ricotta combination, and ½ cup mozzarella (no tomato sauce on this layer).
High the cheese with the three remaining noodles. Unfold the remaining sauce excessive.
Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and remaining ¼ cup Parmesan.
Cowl the lasagna with foil (watch out to not let the foil contact the highest of the cheese or it should stick—I like to stay a couple of toothpicks within the high of the lasagna in order that they’re poking up and maintain the foil off of the cheese). Bake it lined for 25 minutes.
Take away from the oven, uncover, and rotate the pan by 180. Proceed cooking uncovered for 15 to twenty extra minutes, till it’s sizzling and bubbly and the cheese is starting to have brown spots.
Take away from the oven and let cool for quarter-hour to set. Sprinkle with contemporary basil, then slice and serve.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate lasagna in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze leftovers in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: Put together the lasagna as directed, then cowl and refrigerate it for as much as 1 day or freeze for as much as 3 months (make sure that your dish is freezer-safe). If refrigerated, let the lasagna come to room temperature previous to baking. If frozen, let the lasagna thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than bringing it to room temperature and baking.
Serving: 1(of 8)Energy: 356kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 22gFats: 16gSaturated Fats: 8gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 65mgPotassium: 785mgFiber: 4gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 9520IUVitamin C: 52mgCalcium: 443mgIron: 3mg
Be a part of at this time and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.